Wednesday 16 June 2010

Non E/B: "What Happen's at Charlie's Wedding" by Velvetbutterfly

When I want to start a fic, like most other people in the fandom, I veer towards AH Edward/Bella. I don’t know what it is, but it’s just natural. It’s like human instinct. Sort of. However, that soon became a little bit repetitive and even though yes, I still love E/B stories and I know that all of mine are E/B, I must admit that the last time I looked for a fic, I was looking for a different pairing (Oh my God! Not Edward and Bella? Are you crazy!?)

So I have decided that from now on, I am going to try and find as many good NON BELLA/EDWARD stories and read and review them for everyone. I already have a few on my mind so far and I want to spread the love. But there was one that I had to share with you straight away because I even loved this in my Bella/Edward days.

"What Happen's At Charlie's Wedding" by velvetbutterfly




FF.net
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5211175/1/What_Happens_At_Charlies_Wedding

Twilighted.net
http://www.twilighted.net/viewstory.php?sid=5917


Review:

When I came across this story, I was intrigued by the Carlisle/Bella pairing. After watching Twilight and New Moon, there was no doubt that Peter Facinelli who plays Carlisle, was what some consider a DILF (Dad I’d Like to Fuck). There have been many story attempts where Edward is the older man (yes, I am a victim of writing older Edward – God love him) but I simply could not imagine Edward being Bella’s father’s age. As in the same age as Charlie (Eww! Gross!) Therefore with this fic I found that Carlisle was the perfect character to base the forty year-old best man that twenty-three year-old Bella falls for in “What Happens at Charlie’s Wedding.”

The Carlisle/Bella relationship begins with Bella and her best friend Alice returning to Forks for Bella’s father, Charlie’s wedding to the beautiful Esme. Carlisle is Esme’s brother in this fic, so he stays in Forks to be Charlie’s best man and there for his sister on her big day.

Carlisle is the sexy surgeon, of course, and Bella is the hot young 23 year old newly single after escaping the love-rat James (standard). The immediate sexual tension heats up rapidly between the two, and before they know it, it turns into a secret passionate relationship.

However, it’s not just fluff-filled lemons with the hot surgeon, oh no. As the actual wedding draws closer, Carlisle’s son, Edward, and his friend Jasper also travel to Forks and surprise, surprise, Edward also becomes infatuated with Bella and pursues her until no end. And then, one beings to wonder whether it will turn out as a Carlisle/Bella story after all, or just another E/B escapade.

Despite the awesome smut and fluff that VB provides us, there is something else in the storyline which really drew me in and separates this fic from most of the others I’ve read. That is the father/son relationship between Carlisle and Edward. There’s evident hate on Edward’s part towards Carlisle because of the absence of his mother, and Edward’s attraction to Bella isn’t all what it seems. There are unresolved family issues between them that are absolutely heartbreaking and the emotions that are captured her are fantastic – a father’s unconditional love for his son, the malicious ploys and lies told by Edward just to get his father’s attention, and of course, the mature-for-her-age Bella’s support for the man that she ends up loving (but which one?)

I found this story completely fulfilling to read. It was a (hot!) emotional rollercoaster throughout and I really found myself becoming closer to the characters. I enjoyed the excitement of never knowing what was going to happen next, which is something that I do find rare in stories nowadays, not just in fan fiction. The only thing that irritated me with the story was the slow updates, but it’s okay now because it is complete!

So if you want to read something different other than your E/B story, something intense, something thoroughly enjoyable, then I suggest that you read this straightaway.

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com